Wednesday, February 23, 2005

Smithsonian

I have been subscribing to the Smithsonian magazine for some time, (the magazine is comparable to National Geographic but more US centric stories), and consider it good reading. While their articles are usually thought provoking and intense, the one about Uganda in this month's copy was chilling. Not to make this post a politically charged one, but I am shocked that the government doesn't take more active interest in the problems faced by the citizens of these failed states in Africa. With over 20,000 children kidnapped and 1.4 million people displaced, shouldn't that qualify the country as a candidate for "freedom"? If we send 1% of the money we are sinking in Iraq to Uganda, we will make a bigger difference amongst people who truly need "liberation", help and will welcome our presence there. This somehow ties together with Swoop's post today about leaders who are forgotten as a result of state policy.

I was researching on this crisis in Uganda, on the net and found it heart wrenching. In one way it makes me glad that I have the education and opportunity to live in relative wealth and comfort, on the other I feel I should be doing a lot more to help these unfortunate and much abused people. I had a friend who very courageously broke from the standard mold of working as an engineer. Choosing instead to follow his dreams of working for the tiger conservation movement in the Sundarban forests. He quit his job, left behind his family and is today actually making a serious difference. He often comes to mind at times like this when I berate myself for not doing more than I do already.

On a different note, I finally managed to make reservations for our much anticipated trip to Yellowstone in July. We will be camping for 4 days in the Canyon campgrounds and hiking around that area. We hope to spend one day at the Glacier National Park followed by 3 days in Arches National Park. I hear they have great climbing and hiking at Arches which should make for a fun vacation.

13 days before we go on vacation to Asia. I will be traveling when the results for the various schools are released. I was a little worried that HBS could potentially tap me for an interview when I have no access to email or phone, but that thought about HBS frantically trying to contact me provided me with a good laugh.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home