Tuesday, February 08, 2005

Commencement

Yesterday was my first day at Accounting class at U Berkeley. It is the first of a series of business classes I plan to take all the way up to starting school. The class is led by a good instructor who is self effacing to the point of underselling himself every time he opens his mouth. But by god he is GOOD! He really knows his stuff, and it is a nice change to see an instructor who honestly and without any pride stands up and says, "I don't know" to questions outside his area of expertise, while gracefully differing to members of the class who have more knowledge in those areas than him. I am not sure if this is the common trend in all evening classes, but if it is, then I must say I like it because the discussions in class are furiously fast and so interesting that it keeps you on your toes with absolutely no time to slack off. All in all, I enjoyed the first session and am looking forward to the remaining 15. I am sure that I will learn a lot from this class and that it will help me later in life even outside of business school.

For whatever reason, the class seemed tame as compared to Classy's first day at school. No one tried to hit on any of the girls in class, and for most purposes, everyone sat at their own desks. The funniest thing of note was the behavior of these two Indian girls. They probably hadn't seen each other before class started and noticed each other late in the game, but the moment the instructor released the class for break, they made for each other like a magnet draws iron filings. After 20 minutes of animated discussion, the girls were connected at the hip, with one of them moving her books and assorted paraphernalia to the other's tiny table. For the rest of the class we had to put up with furtive whispering which ultimately even annoyed our genial instructor to remark that it was okay for them to ask him questions. I found that hilarious because it is the first time outside of high school that I heard a professor advising a class to pipe down.

On travel news, our plans have been finalized for the next 6 months, with atleast one place of note that we plan to visit each month. The flavor of the month is Arizona, where we will spend a day underground at Kartchner Caverns. Next month is when we have our major vacation booked, South East Asia, and I just realized that I need visas to one of the countries we plan to visit. Must get around to doing that this week. We have less than 3 weeks before we fly out.

I was attempting to make a reservation for our camping trips at Yosemite in June when I hit the immovable barrier of finding accommodations. Most of the camp grounds on the valley floor are booked up 4 months in advance, a ridiculous state of affairs this early in the game. But then again it might work out well for us since we will visit other national parks that are a little off the beaten track and not so congested.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home