Monday, July 12, 2004

Progress over the weekend

Last weekend, I printed out tons of information on schools I am interested in. This is my attempt to gather as much information as I can regarding various schools and whether they fit into my overall plan as to where I want to go to get my MBA. I guess there will be some people out there who will claim that I should have done this earlier and studied for GMAT accordingly. I prefer taking the MBA process in little bite sized helpings, offcourse I have my overall goal in my head, but coming from a programming background, I believe in XP (eXtreme Proramming), and use that paradigm pretty much everywhere I can shoe horn it into. XP claims that plans should be more event driven as compared to long term strategies that are subject to many changes, where the end product suffers from over engineering and a lack of coherent structure, due to the changing nature of the world we live in. In the same way, I wasn't sure if I could score above the required amount to garner admission in a top notch school, so din't want to waste my time researching a bunch of schools where I might not get admission, instead spent the time studying for the score that would get me where I wanted to go. Now that the stage I has been achieved, it is time to move to stage II. Research and analysis followed by basic themes and points to be highlighted.

A friend was supposed to send me some information that he had gleaned during his application process last year, relating to strengths and personality traits that individual schools look for. Haven't heard from him since, and am giving him up as a lost cause. Why is it that some people promise help and renege when it comes time to deliver. Well whatever, it can't be so difficult to gather the information, the only thing I have to do is reinvent the wheel. Hopefully this is not an indication of most MBA applicants and/or my future classmates.

But while researching the schools, thought I would get started on the essays for the schools I will definitely be applying too. The first amongst equals is offcourse Wharton. :) There I have gone and said it. Feels good to finally articulate a goal, hopefully will get to it by January 2005. I want to get some thoughts down on paper ASAP, specially themes that I want to establish and personality traits that I want to bring to light. Here are the essays required of all First-Time Applicants at Wharton:

Required: Describe your career progress to date and your future short-term and long-term career goals. How do you expect an MBA from Wharton to help you achieve these goals and why now? (1,000 words)

Required: Describe an impact you’ve had on an individual, group or organization. How has this experience been valuable to you or others? (500 words)

Required: Please complete two of the following three questions (500 words):
Describe when you were part of a team where the group process and/or intended outcome failed. What did you learn?

Describe a situation where your values, ethics, or morals were challenged. How did you handle the situation?

Describe a personal characteristic or something in your background that will help the Admissions Committee to know you better.

Optional: If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Committee should be aware, please explain them here (e.g., unexplained gaps in work experience, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, significant weaknesses in your application). (250 words)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home