Wednesday, July 07, 2004

End of Phase I

And it is over! Took the GMAT yesterday. Was resting on the pleasant feeling you get when something you have been preparing for is over, was thinking that now I could concentrate on the serious business at hand, of actually writing the essays, when it suddenly dawned on me that if I thought the GMAT was the most difficult part of the game, I was seriously mistaken.

It takes an adcom less than 30 secs to read the score, decide if it meets their criteria and move on. So the past 8 weeks of effort were aimed at something that occupies just 30 secs of the entire application process. That seems like a major waste of time. But the way I look at it, the preperation process was absolutely essential to help get you focussed on the task in front of you.

I like to think of myself as very methodical and super motivated most times (you could call me anal), but this experience has been an eye opener. I felt my preperation was NOT up to par, and I could have done much better if I had done a better job with the tactics and study pattern that I followed. This I feel is what seperates the men from the boys. People who scored higher than me, hats off to you. You are definitely better than me either in organizational ability or in intellectual capability. And I don't in the slightest feel envious of these people, mainly because their success is absolutely deserved.

I usually hate multiple choice questions, because I feel it introduces the element of luck for the people who don't deserve the grades they get. But looks like ETS feels even more strongly than I do about this, and writes its multiple choice questions accordingly. There were atleast a three instances when I selected an answer, hit next, and right before hitting confirm thought to myself, wait a minute. And on revisiting the premise, realised that I had pulled a snafu. Gotto thank my wife for that. :) She made me promise that I would think over answers twice before hitting next. And everytime I planned to move to the next problem, I kind of heard her voice in my mind asking me to recheck the answer. Got pretty mad at some point about it because I was running short on time, but definitely I would have pulled a much lower score without that reminder. Finshed all the sections with time in the nick of time, without hurrying through any part of the test, so I guess that is a good thing.

I took a lot of guidance and help from people who post in their Blogs, and since there is no way I can pay them back, I am going to pass on the favour. Will be posting my GMAT experiences and recommendations shortly. Hopefully if someone who hasn't given the GMAT looks at this Blog, he/she can take some good things away, that could help them get a better score than they would otherwise.

Do send me an email if you want any further information. My email address aregon23

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home