Friday, February 04, 2005

Overbooked

That is what happens everytime I am in charge of our social calendar. I build design plans at work, involving multiple people delivering a product, in some cases six months down the line, that work flawlessly. Put me in charge of contacting friends and family to ensure our weekend has the right mix of outdoor activities and personal time with both family and friends, then sit back and watch me as I blunder my way through the mess.

This time though, I have gone above and beyond any of my past futile attempts. I managed to surprise myself with my ingenuity, which knows no bounds when it comes to screwing things up. I committed us to several parties and events, all overlapping each other. Now the wife has been called upon to sort things without ruffling feathers and to prioritize events. And the first thing she did was to scratch my overly ambitious plan to fly to Las Vegas somewhere in the midst of other events I had planned. Luckily she couldn't cancel the Priceline car reservation I made, so we are definitely going skiing tomorrow. I will have to put up some photographs of Kirkwood, since this could possibly be my last season there for the next few years.

In Cornell news, Oldman who used to run the Cornell "reality show" has posted an excellent post on his decisions to quit blogging, while leaving us with a clearer view of the recruitment process there. His post and explanation to some extent assuages the initial terror of seeing the initial crappy numbers reported. So thanks once again Oldman.

The SuperBowl ads for this year promise to be a little tame thanks Ms. Janet Jackson's little wardrobe malfunction last year (I picked that exact moment to refresh everyone's drinks because I was sick of the backdoor boy and this silly skank gyrating on the screen). CBS after paying the 500,000 $ fine is making sure that even the advertisements have no possibility of offending anyone. Ford and Budweiser have already pulled ads that were termed a little risque. Look out for the GoDaddy ad, which is a hilarious take on the Janet Jackson episode. I can easily see it becoming the #1 ad this year around. With no interest whatsoever in either team, I am definitely watching the game only for the tradition and joy of drinking beer in the afternoon. Though since I do hate the Pats a little more than the Eagles, I will be booing them a lot more.

Happy SuperBowl partying everyone, TGIF!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home