Thursday, January 20, 2005

Reading

Time blissful time! I have been having a blast learning technology and catching up on my readings. One of my all time favorite authors just happens to be P.G. Wodehouse. There is something about quirky British humor that tickles my funny bone.

So besides the Larson comics that I take in small doses daily for health and vitality, (not to mention as fodder for the famous Aregon charm offensive), I have been skimming through delightful works of the past. Rolling with Mike and PSmith, commiserating with Archie and enthralled by Mr. Mulliner. I don't know if I have mentioned this anywhere but I collect books as a minor hobby, the older the better. So am always looking for deals on eBay. With some eclectic reading tastes, I was wondering if anyone out there has read or collected any of the works of Frank Richards or Richmal Crompton? Drop me a line even if you are into collecting E.R. Burroughs. Should be interesting to reach out and make contact with a kindred spirit.

The website I have been developing has run into some serious trouble. With my penchant for working with bleeding edge technology, I pushed a little too hard a little too soon, and have broken the whole damn thing. This unfortunately isn't the first time that it has happened. Initially I was a little petrified of crashing the system and the labor involved at bringing it up. But as my old boss used to say, "if you haven't broken it, you probably don't know enough about it in the first place". Having gotten over my initial timidity, I am breaking stuff with gusto. Have to do a fresh install on a daily basis and a once daunting task has denigrated to a join the dots.
1. Break the bloody code.
2. Delete the whole tree
3. Rebuild from stable version.
4. Restore backed up data
5. Move as close to the bleeding edge as possible without cutting once self.
6. Repeat step 1.

I am learning the limits of the technology pretty fast and slowly but surely getting good at this. Another skill to add to the old kitty!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home