Thursday, February 24, 2005

Nada!

No change whatsoever! For the first time in 2 months I went back to the Wharton website to see if a miracle happened or that I made a mistake the first time around. Unfortunately nothing of that sort took place. Still on the waitlist, waiting patiently but I did read my application all over again. While I believe there are margins for improvement in several places, I am still convinced I did as good a job as it was possible in the time allocated.

It is definitely a strange paradox that I find myself facing. One side of me wishes that the R2 applicant pool is weak and several of the people admitted for R1 get admits to other schools and decide to matriculate there instead. On the other if I do get an admit in R2 off the waitlist, I want the class to the be the strongest possible, with the best candidates that the year has to offer. As I went for a walk after lunch to ponder over what next, I couldn't help but reflect on the hours, days, weeks months that I invested in my Wharton application. I am pretty sure that most of the successful candidates did the same and a little more but all I could feel was a deep sadness if all that effort was deemed not worthy or wasted by a ding. It doesn't really help me in any way that I was waitlisted in R1, unless I garner an admit in R2. While there are intangible benefits that the introspection will provide me for the future, the time spent on honing the essays is time lost. Not to mention the time that my recommenders invested in my future.

There was also this sickly sweet sense of "what if" that emanates from the remote possibility of being actually offered a seat in the class of 2007. Such a long time has passed with the situation so precariously balanced, my senses are heightened and my nerves at a breaking point. This is something that someone admitted or dinged instantly can never appreciate. I will definitely appreciate my time at Wharton a lot more if I am admitted and conversely I will feel the sting of the ding a lot more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home