Monday, August 02, 2004

Blue Moon!

Did anyone catch the blue moon on Saturday last? (Blue moon - is a rare occurrence when you have two full moons in a calendar month - no the color of the moon is NOT blue) To celebrate the blue moon, I set out on a moonlit hike with my cousin and wife, we took along my new best friends, GPSMap 60C. It started out as a beautiful night for a hike, but somewhere along the way the marine layer came in, and the mountain we were climbing was soon covered by a very cold fog/cloud/mist at an altitude of 1900 Ft. So right before the summit we decided to turn back. Unfortunately, this was about when the GPS decided to act up. And I realized the futility of counting on electronic gadgets in the wilderness. Apparently, the batteries I had in the GPS were those I cannibalized from the remote control of my R/c car, so somewhere along the trail it ran out of juice and conked out. This was heart breaking since I was counting on it to tell me exactly how much distance we had to walk to get to the car. After a long COLD walk without the "blue" moonlight (shortly after starting the hike, the moon disappeared behind the clouds), it feels horrible not knowing how much longer you need to walk. Needless to say, I was teased to death by my wife and cousin, till we got to the car. Still this taught me a valuable lesson, never step out without your compass and topo.

I finally got my act together and crunched out a couple of drafts for Essays 1 & 2 for Wharton. I wasn't too sure about striking out with my #1 choice so early in the game. Wanted to work to the most important essays after getting the others out of the way. But decided to make the plunge since now I will have more time to review these drafts. I also thought that if I was so sure about what I wanted to do in life, I should be bold enough to face up to the challenge.

Thanks Dave, for pointing out that website that seems to be linking all our blogs, I guess we don't really have cause for complain because our blogs are on a public domain, and they aren't taking credit for our stories. But weird that they dint ping us or ask us for permission to link up.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home