Monday, November 29, 2004

Bogged

My first day back from vacation has been chaotic to say the least. I can't believe how much work has piled up in my absence of 3 days, with huge email threads floating around and deadlines set on a half day basis.

In my attempt to cope with the workload, I haven't been able to find time to chew on all my impressions from the whirlwind trip and try to bring some semblance of order. I haven't even gotten the chance to send my thank you notes to some wonderful students and admission committee members that I had the pleasure to meet and associate with on the trip. An unforgivable crime, so I have set my self a deadline of this evening to get them all out of the way.
The blogs have been unusually quite for the past week, and it looks as if people are all holding their breaths for the results due in less than three weeks. For my part, I wish I could fast forward the time and get straight down to the decision.

It is that time of the year when one starts thinking about Uncle Sam and his pound of flesh, so in an attempt to make the process as smooth as possible, I plan to step out today and buy TurboTax and its assorted family of software to assist me in my preparation. I was unable to take advantage of the black Friday deals due to lousy internet connections and lack of time, but there are still a few good deals out there if you search hard enough.

On the topic of slow connections and computers, I happened to work on one of the slowest machines I have touched in a long time. It was a PII and had 64 MB of RAM with a 56K modem that was crawling along. I always find it funny that I complain about slow computers these days considering I grew up on AT's and 386's in my youth, where a 4800 baud connection was considered to be the cutting edge of technology and a 14.6 K the bleeding edge. T1 lines in school at work, with DSL at home have destroyed my patience, and attention span. If a page doesn't load up the moment I click on the link, it has lost me!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home