Thursday, November 18, 2004

Reloaded

I was on S2S all morning reading through the dings and approval notes when I came across some questions on essays, GMAT scores, strategies, etc. And it struck me hard that as R1 was winding down, R2 was just ramping up. People were finding their feet, researching the school, attempting to make contact with others who shared the same misery as them.

Since my mind for the past few days is on war stories, it brought to mind the image of soldiers attacking a fortified position. The first wave makes it past the barbed wire, leaving behind the dead and the wounded while the second wave getting off the blocks into boats ready to charge forward themselves. That was one grim cynical way to look at things. On the other hand this was once again the season of hope, where another 1800 smart, equally well qualified candidates, sure of themselves and their credentials, throwing their hats into the ring. An interesting juxtapose wouldn't you agree?

Again and again though my mind keeps coming back to the people who received their dings today, feeling their agony, appreciating how tight the competition is, realizing how easy it would have been to be on the other side of the fence. Commiserating with my comrades in arms whose dreams have been differed and in some cases shelved. I must say though, that the stoicism displayed by some of the candidates is superlative. Some obviously standing up and taking it on the chin with a lot of fortitude and self respect. Hats off to these people, and I only hope that I am able to do the same if the time comes. I do hope the lucky few who actually do make it to Wharton realize how lucky they are and that they truly need to make the best of the opportunities offered to them.

Enough with the sadness!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home