Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Cacophony

The sound of dings have finally stopped echoing in my ears, and it is now time to move on. Got back from my vacation and long hiatus from the blogging world and was plunged into a maelstrom of activity. What with all the piled up work waiting for me on my desk, I also had a couple of tests to take in my accounting class. I am over my jetlag but still suffering from post vacation blues. I just hate being back.

For all my patience, effort and investment into the Wharton community, I was rewarded by a big fat ding. I also heard the chiming of the bell at Chicago and HBS. The HBS reject, hurts me not an iota, but the Wharton and Chicago rejects sting like a bee. All things considered, I guess I shouldn't have had much hopes set on Chicago considering the minimal amount of effort I put in my application, but Wharton, *sigh* Wharton that was cold. Unfortunately, I have run out of time, besides I don't think I could improve my application there any further, so it is Cornell Ho!

Being done with the entire pre-nup dance with several of the top schools, I am left with a slightly bitter after taste of the entire process. I am strongly of the opinion that if your application doesn't meet a certain profile, which regardless of all the protests and claims of Alex Brown & Co. is extremely narrow and exclusive, you don't stand a shot. There are definitely buckets that applicants fall into by virtue of birth or education which skew the percentage chances of getting into a top school and it is foolish to think you can buck the trend. To prevent my rant from sounding like sour grapes, I will end it right here.

The most hilarious thing that came out of this application season was a letter received by a friend of mine from MIT. This school takes the cake for a complete lack of class. The subject of the letter was as a result of the 'alleged' hacking attempt by applicants that made so much news a couple of months back. The letter was sent out before the deadline for the release of results. The contents of this letter apparently go in this vein:
"You have shown a lack of ethical and moral bearings that are not fitting of prospective students of Sloan. And for this crime you have been rejected by the MIT SOM. Further more, even before you hacked into the system you had already been dinged." - OUCH!

Whatever said and done about HBS, atleast it sent out reject letters in one go without any attempts to moralize. These bastards in the Sloan admissions office instead of accepting some culpability on their part by compromising sensitive applicant data, neatly pass on the blame to the applicant and then further put the boot in while the person is down. Good luck to future Sloanies, is all I have to say.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home