Tuesday, June 01, 2004

Post Long weekend

There was a Layoff last Friday as expected, and quite a few people from the company were laid off, one of which was a friend (from my group). While I can understand the reasons why companies lay people off, I this was a rank bad choice. I don't think the company gained anything but lost quite a lot of knowledge and experience. The rest of us are going to miss him, and from what people are saying this has been the last straw that will accelerate their plans to leave.

Again I digress from the MBA theme. Back on the GMAT trail, cracked 700 for the first time in a paractise test. Scored exactly 700 in a Princeton Review CAT test. Thought the Math was particularly vicious, towards the end I was really strapped for time, but luckily finished with about a minute remaining. For all that scored well, 51 with about 4 mistakes. The Verbal I though was easier but din't do quite as well, scored 31 with 9 mistakes. While it was much less than usual, I am absolutely unsatisfied with the score. Felt I could do much better.

I spoke with a friend who just got into Harward. He was pretty brutal in his assessment. I don't know whether it is the Harward effect but noticed a slightly supercilious manner in his speach. Having said that, it was definitely an interesting conversation, and he pushed me to market myself better. Build a theme and connect all the dots with the Essays, Recommendations, GMAT and the GPA all pointing to one story and one story only! With even the weaknesses being shown as strengths.

Did my usual round of other MBA Blogs and S2S. Most people hadn't bothered to post over the weekend, and the S2S has the usual crapola postings. :) Though some of the threads were pretty good. Specially the one started for 2007 applicants. Apparently they are planning on scheduling a particular day for college visits. It will definitely help doing something so daunting with company. So looking forward for that plan to materialize.

On the Essay front, thought of my strengths and weaknesses, and the achievements that I want to highlight. I will also be posting shortly, some gems I culled after browsing the S2S boards for a few hours over the weekend. That should make for interesting reading to all the MBA applicants out there and act as a place holder for me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home