Monday, October 04, 2004

Dispatched

Spent the whole of today doing something I expected would take only a few minutes. I sent in my transcripts and a copy of my GMAT scores to some of the schools I am applying too. I am completely exhausted by this effort. When I got to work this morning, all I had on my "to do" list was to write the cover letter and find envelopes to mail the transcripts in. Boy was I wrong. Apparently there is a standard for each school, since I am completing most of the application online, I have to mark the envelope as "Web App" for Wharton, "Online Application" for Kellogg, etc. For which I had to hunt up their application instructions and pour over them. Luckily most schools had pretty good instructions out there and I found everything I needed. Made sure there were no glaring typos in my cover letter took them to the post office where I had to write the addresses down a couple of times (Return receipt, etc.) and finally got done with it. This way I hope to beat the mad rush of the final moments while ensuring I don't trip over my own two left feet while working under pressure.

I think it is essential to do the same even for the rest of the application. There is a ton of stuff to be done before an application is deemed complete but the problem isn't to get done, it is to get done right! These applications are taking way more time than I had expected.

On the recommendations front, one of my recommender's really came through, but the other (one I was expecting to make serious progress over the weekend) wimped out on me. I don't know how to put pressure on this recommender. I don't want to piss anyone off specially when I want them to do a good job. Normally I have a great working relationship and can count on this person to get the job done on time. I have tried to convey my urgency and my desire to beat the rush, but all I hear is, "I have an idea of what I want to write in my head, all I have to do is write it out". So write it already! There are only 10 days left for crying out loud!

Saturday was the last day for me to blow off some steam, went for a great party where I met some fellow bloggers (you know who you are), had some fun, got buzzed, lost the buzz and participated in some great conversation. The cheese was heavenly! This event was just perfect after a day of admission activity and a future 30 days of relentless pressure.

All in all, I am currently pretty happy with most of my applications, I just need to tweak the final pieces and nudge them to complete the puzzle. Good luck to all the applicants buckling down to meet deadlines.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home