Monday, September 27, 2004

Reflections

Coming this far in the application process, looking back at everything I have done till date and looking forward at what remains to be done, I am struck by all the things that could be. I am currently helping a friend go through the same process, ensuring that he gets his strategy right for the GMAT. I came to the conclusion that other that a deep will and motivation, I have lacked in a focused strategy, research and most importantly effort invested. Despite 'thinking' I was working really hard and concentrating on the right priorities, I realize that there were hundred different things that I could have done better. Some I can attribute to a lack of knowledge of the system, some to a lack of experience, but I have to take the blame for not putting in enough efforts to make this work. And for that I feel really sorry. I can only hope that what I have done is at par with the 80% of applicants out there, and that I can still sneak in a college of choice.

This weekend started out well. Hung out with Swoop in a Palo Alto bar. I am sure we bumped into some Stanford GSB crowd, considering we were at one of the more popular hangouts, but we were having too much fun to care or even think about networking. I finally got my resume and the Kellogg part I filled. I should be sending it out in the next two days, along with a request for a Michigan interview. Compiled a brief synopsis for my recommender' and hopefully there is enough material in there for them to crank out a nice 2 page recommendation. Finally got all my transcripts under one roof. Called up my parents and got the details of their education and work history.

Two weeks to Wharton and Cornell R1. I have all but the optional essay complete. I am going to do my usual screeching entry into the round. Probably right before they close their shutters for the night. I just realized that Wharton deadline is Oct 14 12:00 am and not 5:00 pm as I had initial thought it would be.

Here is wishing all the R1 applicants good luck. This is going to be a crucial time for us.

On the side, I read this incredibly moving story about the experiences of Dave's mother in Korea. It was so heartbreaking to read that I can only imagine how bad it must been to live it. But as an indication of how low I have sunk, (introspection has made me reach a new level of being cynical), my second thought was what a marvelous story it would make for one of the essays. Coming as a relief to myself and to the gratitude of my conscience, my third thought was one accusing me of being a total @#$%$#@, and I apologized mentally to Dave for being an ass for even thinking about commercializing such a tragedy. Guess I can't use the holier than thou attitude towards the Bush administration over their take on 9/11 anymore, I just proved I am at par with them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home