Wednesday, November 10, 2004

Preparations

Preparing for an interview or presentation is always an art. You can either do too much or too little of it, and depending upon your skills it can hurt you either ways. Take me for instance. I have been trying to prepare for my Kellogg interview to the best of my ability. I am looking at this as an opportunity to really offer the school (via an alum) to gain some perspective in my personality. Knowing that there are some standard questions that WILL be asked, I have ensured that I have all the points I plan to make memorized. I have been driving my wife crazy by practicing in front of the bathroom mirror these past couple of days (initially my wife wondered who I was talking too). But this morning when I was ready and presented my spiel to her, she thought it was too studied and advised me to loosen up.

Damned if you don't, damned if you do. Now I have to shake off the elements of a rehearsed speech in my delivery. But overall I think I have made a halfway decent stab at handling the usual questions. It is just that if the script moves beyond the usual that I will need to co-ordinate my dance with a few buzzwords that I have prepared.

Yesterday after getting home from work, I was flipping through the channels in my attempt to go brain dead for a blissful 30 mins when I hit upon the Rebel Billionaire, for those of you who don't know this is the new "Apprentice" clone on Fox. My opinion on the show? Pure crap! If this lot that they have here is the best they can do out of 50,000 applicants, I must say it was a lousy pool to begin with. Say what you want about the apprentice pool, atleast they seemed like smart capable people who are well educated and show all the hallmarks of being masters of the concrete jungle. This lot seems lost, uneducated and extremely rough. If there are a couple of decent candidates, they are hiding themselves pretty well. The stunts though were interesting, walking the plank at 10,000 Ft. Having jumped from a plane before, I can tell you it is no joke to be out there at that altitude. And the balancing on the wing of a plane.

The only thing I am not sure off is what this has to do with running a business? Eliminating people because they couldn't walk across a plank makes them a failure? That way John Madden shouldn't be allowed to step in his booth, thanks to his several phobias. Well another day, another dollar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home