Tuesday, November 09, 2004

Strategy

I have been thinking fast and furiously over my R1 strategy and trying to evaluate whether it was good to begin with in the first place. The reason behind this exercise, you ask? Thanks to hitting R1 with 4 schools, I have some time before R2 kicks off. With a set of about 20 essays in the bag, I have the building blocks of good applications in the future.

The way I look at it, there are three fundamental ways to approach MBA applications:
1. The strategy chosen by folks like riter, Brit-Chick, etc. Who are extremely aware of all aspects of their candidacy and are well set on their career plans, allowing them to be highly focused on the schools of choice, regardless of the obstacles in the way. I am talking about highly selective school selection (SSS, :D). Only if you really, really like the school, then you apply there, else defer the dream.
2. The second way to look at things would be flexibly formulated findings (I admit, I had to get creative on this one to come up with the buzz), a method chosen by people like me, who have a strong idea of where they want to go. By identifying the schools that will one get to that place, allows for a smattering of schools that are relatively easy to get into, as well as top rankers as chosen by folks following SSS.
3. Finally you have the strategy that is best identified by one word the Shotgun! The followers of this method go to Business Week, write down the names of the top 15 schools, and split them up in a 8-7 split and hammer away. I probably shouldn't make fun of these folks, possibly due to the fact that I know a couple of people who are using this approach and that they might do better in the long run than me.

Within these three broad groups, there are numerous sub groups that are all variations of the broad group. For example, I approached my goals on a FFF basis, but used SSS to come up with my short list for application, to prevent me from getting into the Shotgun methodology.

The one question that haunts me now, is if my SSS variation of FFF fails then I am up the creek without a paddle. Most of the schools I am applying too will get back to me only around the time of R2 deadlines, which precludes me from taking action, based upon results. If this post hasn't been confusing enough already, I am still to come up with an answer to my original question which was what schools do I apply to in R2 to insure my acceptance to a business school of choice to join the class of 2007? Do I stick to my original list of Stanford, Harvard and Chicago? Or do I include a couple of other schools I liked but dropped due to time and resource constraints like Tuck and Duke?

If my articulation of goals and reasons wasn't good enough for Wharton (I know, I know it ain't over till the fat lady sings, but I cannot function without backup plans for each and every scenario and this is certainly turning out into one my worst nightmarish scenes), to even garner an interview, I wonder if it will click anywhere else.

All I have are questions, questions and more questions. The only silver lining to the cloud is that November 18th isn't that far away, it will answer in a very emphatic manner whether my story made sense or was worthy only of being filed in the dustbin. That will allow me to craft my message better for R2. But the question on which schools I should try and feed my story too, is still unanswered.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home