Friday, December 03, 2004

First

... time for everything I guess.

Today after close to 4 years of working for the same company, my colleagues got to see me in my business casual glory! It was funny, as expected the comments on interviewing flew thick and deep, till I mentioned I had a presentation to make for the VP and several directors. That wasn't enough to quell the comments, since I doubt anyone of us has ever dressed up to make a presentation before. It is definitely going to be a huge change for me to leave all this behind and go to business school and wear a suit regularly. I don't usually buy the excuse that it makes you look more business like. I feel rather that "business like" is a state of mind and attitude. I would care if the person making me a deal was dressed formally or casually as long as what came out of his/her mouth made business sense. Maybe it is just a West coast cultural thing but I have learnt to look past appearances and concentrate of the message as compared to letting myself be boxed down by the appearance. Shit no matter how well packed remains shit!

In the unique tradition that I established from my very first business school interview, something had to go wrong while I carried my clothes to the car (wore a different shirt than I plan to wear at the interview. The lucky shirt is waiting for me in the car). This time I was feeling so awkward walking to work in formals, I completely forgot my "interview" shirt at home. Luckily the wife wasn't asleep on the watch, before we went our separate ways to our respective cars, she pointed out that I had forgotten something and asked me to guess. I couldn't remember until she spelt it out for me. After which I literally ran upstairs to get the shirt.

I should be going for my presentation soon, and hope that it doesn't stretch too far into the afternoon. That will give me ample time to brush up on last minute stuff, read my essays, print the map to get to the interview and yes, change my shirt!

Off the three blockers who had their interviews scheduled for yesterday, all seemed to be quite happy with the outcomes. So kudos to them. I hope that I can replicate the experience and walk away or in this case drive away happy. Its a beautiful day in California, sunny, bright and crisp. There is a slight nip in the air, but it always pleases my heart to see clear blue skis and warm sunlight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home