Wednesday, January 05, 2005

Redbull

"Goodbye HBS thank you for coming. "

This was as close to the wire as it gets. Screeched in with under 30 mins to deadline, just as the train pulled out! Another late nighter was called for to finish my essays in time. Thanks be, to the wife for filling out my transcripts and application form, that broke the back of my application. It allowed me to devote this morning to making sure everything was just so. Offcourse I had to do my own dirty work when it came to filling in the challenges faced and achievements questions but having atleast 80% of the data in there made the process relatively stress free. 'Relatively', I say? The wife's nerves are all shot up with how close I came to missing the round.

Who do we thank for the miracle? Yup! Redbull! With all the late nights I was pulling, it was but natural for the tiredness to catch up when I needed to be at the top of my game, and my applications were due the next day. With 5 essays to re-draft and proof, there was no way I could have taken even a power nap. So I popped open the bull and chugged away, counting on its miraculous powers (read: taurine, glucuronolactone, caffeine, inositol, niacin and D-pantothenol) to keep me stoked up and ready to rumble.

Got the essays done by 4:00 am, crawled into bed with my nerves jumpy as a goat with all the Redbull. Struggled to fall asleep and hit the application form as soon as I woke up this morning.

Analysis: I think the essays were pretty darn good if I say so myself. Atleast I am happy with the end result. I managed to clock all the essays but one inside the word limit, with the one I missed, clocking in at 403 words. I felt that was an important requirement, and least anyone think I wasted words, I would like to add that I was at the 399 - 400 mark throughout. I did not plan it that way but boy am I glad it worked out. Due to the time crunch I probably did not utilize all the space available in the optional spaces provided to my maximum benefit. But then I have no one to blame but me and I hate doing that so will let go and count the brevity of my answer as a feature and not a bug.

Getting out of app world, and coming back to reality, I find that my company is in complete turmoil. (No, not because of me) There has been a massive shakeup in the top management hierarchy and it appears as if the rivers are going to run with blood next week.

*Sigh* it is possible that my plans of working till the day I join school and make money along the way might remain just that, plans! Not that layoffs bother me too much, all expectations are that the axe will miss our group but with so many shakeups it is difficult to predict anything.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home