Monday, December 27, 2004

Tsunami

Yesterday I was speaking to my sister when she bought my attention the huge Tsunami that was triggered off by an earthquake in Indonesia. The earthquake ranked #4 on the largest quakes to hit the world in the last 100 years clocking in at 9.0 on the Richter scale, and causing a 620 mile section of geological plate to dislodge itself.

While I am extremely saddened by this loss of life and property, this is somehow tied to one of the largest side benefit that this application process has afforded me. While speaking to my sister, I was reminded of our pre-application plans. We had decided to take a family vacation around Christmas this year, and had settled on one of the islands inundated by the tidal waves. Even as late as a couple of months ago, when I thought my application to Wharton was going well, I was debating whether to skip HBS altogether.

All I have to say is thank god for HBS and my procrastination in R1, that pushed HBS to R2. So some good coming out of a flaw.

With that out of the way, my essays are coming along well. I am quite confident of meeting the deadline if I can just grab a hold of one of my recommenders. I have some free time this week and plan to definitely crank out my application before the end of the week, and time permitting put GSB back on my list. Will see how it goes.

Christmas this year was a mad shopping season. We (or atleast my wife) certainly did our part in boosting sales numbers for the various companies out there, and the US Economy by default. Banana Republic being the largest recipient of my wife's largesse. We spent Christmas morning at my cousin's whose 6 year old daughter really lucked out on the gifts this year. She really believes in elves and Santa now, which gives her mother a nice handle on her when she misbehaves. I guess greed and avarice do look cute on some people.

The long weekend though was miserable in terms of weather. It has been raining like crazy in the Bay area and I really pity the folks who have come here to enjoy the Californian weather. With no let up promised this whole week from the weather gods, the tourists will have to chalk one up for the weather gods.

Those of you who sent me emails/comments on the waitlist research, I apologize for not replying earlier over the break, but I was on a self imposed hiatus, so dint want to access email. I will be sending all of you an email shortly. (Atleast those of you whose email addresses I have.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home