Saturday, September 18, 2004

Working on Saturday

*Sigh* like many of the other applicants out there, I am working on a Saturday, we have some visitors over for the weekend, and the wife is taking them around the city. (For some reason every time we have visitors over the day is usually grey, cold and windy, on all other occasions it is brilliantly blue and sunny - go figure). I would have liked to spend the day partying around with the group, but due to slip ups in the schedule I am here at work. I can only hope all this effort pays off in the long run.

I am incredibly surprised that there are so many other people who work long hours, have a family life, score well on the GMAT, write good essays, play a strong role in society and most importantly carry their enthusiasm through the 8 months or so it takes to complete an application process. And then you hear about MBA students who are narcistic, mean and lazy? I mean come on doesn't going through the grind throw out the chaff from the wheat? How do such people make the cut? There can only be two solutions, one that the system fails when it hits certain candidates. Or, All MBA students have some common traits that allow them to get into business school, but some obviously transcend that commonality and rise above the rest.

Which brings me to another question that is bothering me, is it the school that moulds the personality or is it a natural selection process that attracts students of a certain type to one school. How is it possible for some one to learn to be a leader? Isn't charisma inborn? Just by reading about Churchill or Napoleon or Alexander, or by watching them in action, will I be able to imbibe their traits? I guess this is where your essays come in, by showing hints of leadership, you try to show some thing in you, akin to a diamond in the rough being examined before it is opened by the gem cutter. If you have that spark of leadership, the charisma, you will be polished and buffed up till you emulate a Churchill or a Napoleon.

Enough of this shit it is getting me no where. I have Creed blasting from the speakers in my room, trying to create an atmosphere of creativity and adrenalin to crank out the essays.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home