Monday, October 25, 2004

Murphy's

...law anyone?

So this morning dawns bright and beautiful (and late - since I was up late reading a book the previous night). The first thought in my head was to finish the last few pages remaining in the story that I had been forced to abandon. After making some headway I realized that I had to start getting ready for work. Working in a technology firm, it is anathema to be caught in formals so had to wear the usual torn jeans and T-shirt. But with the Michigan interview scheduled for this evening, I decided to take my business casual clothes on a hanger, leave it in my car and change before heading out to the interview. How I got my business casual clothes is another story, my wife had to root through the cupboard where she keeps stuff I rarely wear to find my lucky shirt. We made a pitstop at Banana Republic on Sunday to technically buy a new pants for myself, and for some mysterious reason ended up spending 3 hours in the store while my wife bought stuff that she absolutely needed to have.

Now here is the interesting part, as I step out of my building onto the road, my brand new pants fall off the hanger onto the floor. I curse and bend over to pick it up, little realizing that the shirt on the hanger is now sweeping the floor. I realize that and curse again. In trying to juggle between all the things in my arms, I almost drop everything again. Yes and I curse again.

Somehow manage to get to my car, along the way step into a huge puddle from the previous day's rain, getting my formal shoes drenched and dirty. Yup curse. I stand near my car and wonder how I am going to open it with last night's leftover Italian food in one hand, pants in the other, bag slung over an arm and a hanger with the shirt in my mouth. Can't keep anything on the ground or the car since everything is wet. There I go again and I curse. Somehow manage to get in, now I am practically shoving stuff around, having lost my temper thoroughly, the curses are flowing really poetically. And finally start heading out to work.

It being a cold morning I had my heater on and for some reason I can't stand hot air on my face so had the vents pointing to the ground. Suddenly this ripe smell of Chicken in Marinara sauce wafts around and is almost overpowering to the unwary. And I realize that if I don't take immediate action my dress clothes are going to smell like they were in the kitchen all day when I go for my interview. So I decide to brave the cold, open the windows and let the air take the smell out of the car the whole way. There I was driving 80 miles an hour on 101 N driving to work with my windows open. Just as I pulled into the parking lot, I decided to quickly check if the clothes I had hung up were okay and I find out that the wind had knocked it off the hanger and onto the floor! UGH!

It wasn't even 10:00 am! So not sure how this interview is going to fare, but I will tell you this, now my nerves are so shot that I have been through all stages of nervousness and moved to the sea of calm beyond. Don't see how things could get worse. (Well they could but it wouldn't bother me). So in one way that should be good when I finally go for the interview, dirty shirt, pants, shoes, et al. It is a pity since I really like Michigan and would love to go to school in Ann Arbor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home