Wednesday, December 15, 2004

Idiocy

n. pl. id·i·o·cies

The state or condition of being an idiot; profound mental retardation. (Me!)

In a funny twist to the saga of my Cornell application story, it turns out that I have been admitted to the class of 2007. The status on my application page reads as:

We are delighted to inform you of your acceptance to the Cornell MBA program. Welcome to the Johnson School Class of 2007. You will receive your official letter of admission soon.

Now how did that happen? You already know the first part of the story where I was moping around waiting for the call, monitoring my cell phone till I finally ran out of patience and quit hoping and went home. At home, post dinner while the wife was telling me some random story and doing a very effective job of driving Cornell away from my mind when she noticed the light on our answering machine blinking, she reached across hit play and kept walking towards the door when the voice on the answering machine went, " Congratulations, I wanted to ..." Around this time, I was already reaching across to delete the message, thinking it was regular telemarketer calling to sell a vacation when I heard her say, "this is Ann Richards" which was when the message hit home.

SCORE One for the home team!

So the situation had both a pro and con, the con was that I did not get to experience the sheer joy that comes with hearing about your first admit in person, and had to suffer the misery for some more time. But the pro is that I have the message saved for posterity and can always replay it when I am down the next time! :)

On the side note I received a couple of messages and notes from people showing sadistic pleasure in my misery yesterday and it certainly acted as an eye opener. I am surprised that these people would care enough to see me suffer or feel humiliated. And I have been wondering about it. While I enjoy blogging and the people I have met through it, these riff raff truly throw a bad light on this entire experience. Now I am left wondering if I should be so candid on my blog or turn it into a more factual exercise with limited emotions. That is definitely a thought I am pursuing.

Also wanted to thank the many bloggers and friends who posted several notes congratulating me, more gratitude goes out to the folks who supported me yesterday when I was down. I truly appreciate that more than anything else. I also apologize for not updating the blog earlier and for people having to find out from a post I made on BW. I have been busy all morning and this is the first opportunity I got to broadcast the news. I made the post on BW only to bring some cheer to the folks who were in my shoes yesterday and wanted them to take heart. Thanks once again to everyone.

It is back to the wait right now, Wharton will release its decision in the next 6 days and my Chicago and HBS applications are still due. So the celebration has definitely been postponed to Jan 7th when I am done with everything on my "to do" list. Which is when I will look back at these moments and savor them. :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home