Friday, December 17, 2004

Curiouser

... and curiouser.

Often times you see problems in front of you that seem so difficult to surmount. Your basic belief is that once the problem has been solved you are home free. Right after you climb the hill you see a bigger hill and the one you are on doesn't appear as intimidating as it seemed before. It reminds me of a silly song we used to sing while traveling in a group, (strangely it's a very apt analogy for this situation). The song goes something like this:

The bear went over the mountain
The bear went over the mountain
The bear went over the mountain
To see what he could see,

He saw another mountain
He saw another mountain
He saw another mountain
And what do you think he did?

He climbed the other mountain
He climbed the other mountain
He climbed the other mountain
And what do you think he saw?

The new mountain I am referring too is the MBA programs I see approaching less than 9 months in the distance. I wrote several fine lines of wanting to attend a specific school because of the "rigorous curriculum", but now the rigorous curriculum has come back to bite me in the GM. I was just expounding on the 'art' of MBA admissions to a couple of my friends (all fellow applicants) the other day, and it struck me later that I sounded like a pompous GM. Here I was hardly three days away from trembling in my boots due to the lack of an admit, trying to speak knowledgeably over a situation that is as dark to me as it is to anyone else. (So guys, you know who you are, I apologize for going over the top).

To get a head start on the core that most schools provide, to give myself a leg up in the education department and to break gently into the studying mold after 8 years away from the books, I plan to register for community college. I was trying to understand the key reasons I was heading for the MBA and they were:
1. To get a better education in terms of electives, advanced level stuff that I could find no where else.
2. To network.

I believe that taking a couple of courses before I get to school will help me:
1. Skip the core and jump in the advanced stuff OR
2. Take the core, but be sufficiently proficient at it to be able to concentrate on the networking and extra-curricular stuff I plan to participate in.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home