Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Finally received my GMAT scores

Finally after almost 6 weeks since taking my GMAT, I received my scores in the mail. I had almost given up on them and begun doubting if I was in their system in the first place. On calling them, I found out that they had my address without the apartment number in their computers. Something difficult to believe since my temporary scores card had my complete address on it, and I paid for the test using my credit card, which wouldn't have worked if they had my address wrong. So I am chalking it up to a bureaucratic snafu.

The results themselves, I already knew, except for the AWA scores, which completely astounded me. Not that I consider myself as being very bad at my written English or anything, but I was pretty darn sure I did badly. I had a small case of nerves and forgot my template for the second essay. I was looking for a solid 4.0, but did way way better. So now I am left wondering at the efficiency of these electronic readers. I don't think they are worth the money invested in them if they can score crappy essays so highly.

My advice to all the other applicant out there who haven't taken the AWA yet, follow the Princeton Review rules on the AWA essay:
  1. Prepare a standard template.
  2. Write as many words as you possibly can. Length is the key here.
  3. Break the essays into a number of logical paragraphs.
  4. Make no, or as few spelling mistakes possible.
  5. Grammatical mistakes don't lose you as many points as 4.
  6. Always summarize and conclude the essay, in case of Argument put forth strengthening points.

And that is all you need to score in your AWA. Now while the rules above will help you score on the AWA as such, it may not be enough. You will need to add some substance to the essay in case it is actually read by the AdComs. You don't even want to get them thinking along the lines of how come his/her essays are of such high quality but his/her AWA's suck. Since they will be reading your AWA with a completely different light than the eReaders do.

Do AdComs actually read through AWA's?


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home